The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is the world’s largest hot air balloon festival, lasting for 9 days each October, and drawing in crowds of nearly 1 million visitors each year. This year, however, the Fiesta will be even more spectacular as it celebrates its 50th anniversary. In this article, we’ll highlight some of the best Balloon Fiesta events that will be offered to celebrate the 50th anniversary of this world-renowned occasion.
50th Anniversary Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta Events
Before the 50th Balloon Fiesta
While most of the action will take place during the 9 days of the Fiesta in October, there are also some events occurring earlier to celebrate the 50th anniversary, including:
- Man Above Town Exhibit – The Albuquerque International Balloon Museum has an exhibit about the man who started it all and is known as the ”Father of the Balloon Fiesta”—Sid Cutter. The Museum opened this special exhibition on Friday, April 8th, 2022, which is the true 50th anniversary of the Balloon Fiesta. “Man Above Town” celebrates Cutter and all of his contributions to the Fiesta.
- Canopy of Color Exhibit – Closer to October, the Balloon Museum is also planning to open another special exhibit called “Canopy of Color.” This exhibition will celebrate the last 50 years of the Fiesta’s history, focusing on the joy, dedication, hard work, and spirit of the Fiesta. It will also honor all of the people who had the visions for the Fiesta and worked together to make it what it is today.
During the 50th Balloon Fiesta
There will also be plenty of Balloon Fiesta Parks events throughout the 9 days of the Fiesta. These events include:
- 50th Anniversary Balloon – Made last year during the 2021 Balloon Fiesta, there will be a balloon specifically made to celebrate the event’s 50th anniversary, and to also honor Sid Cutter. There is even a silhouette of Sid Cutter at the top of the inside of the balloon to celebrate him.
- Original 13 Balloons Take Off – Another event celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Fiesta involves replicating the original 13 balloons that took off during the first Fiesta. These 13 replicated balloons are also scheduled to take off from the very same spot as the first Fiesta—the Coronado Center. The original pilots who are still alive will be included in the event.
- VIP Viewing Packages – You can also celebrate the Fiesta’s 50th anniversary by purchasing tickets for VIP Viewing Packages from the Balloon Museum. These packages include catered meals, drinks, amazing views of the Fiesta, and more. This will allow you to have an amazing experience and make the 50th Fiesta an event to remember. Tickets are on sale now, so consider purchasing yours today!
The Anderson-Abruzzo International Balloon Museum Foundation proudly raises awareness, involvement, and funds for the Balloon Museum. Our goal is to uplift the Museum through project collaboration, artifact donations, and shared information and resources. The Balloon Museum Foundation also holds special events during The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta each year, like the VIP Viewing Packages mentioned above. Find out more about the Fiesta and all of the scheduled events, as well as looking into how you can support our efforts by becoming a member, donating, volunteering, or purchasing a wall tile today!