Whether you’re taking a vacation or just driving through on your way to another destination, there are many fun things for families to do in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The southwestern city offers many different experiences that you and your whole family will enjoy. Here are some of the best family activities in Albuquerque:
- ABQ BioPark – The ABQ BioPark is an environmental museum made up of four different facilities—an aquarium, a zoo, a botanic garden, and Tingley Beach (lakes where you can fish). A visit to the BioPark offers a way to experience animals, the outdoors, and local wildlife all in one place and will provide everything your family could ask for, and more!
- Sandia Peak Aerial Tramway – One of the most popular activities in Albuquerque is riding the Sandia Peak Aerial Tramway, which transports you high above the city into the Cibola National Forest. Here, you’ll have a breathtaking view of New Mexico’s unique and stunning landscape, and the trip is especially beautiful at sunset.
- The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History – The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History is a fun, educational activity that both adults and kids will love. The museum is home to many different exhibits that present the history of nuclear science (including its role in New Mexico’s history), explain how it works and its uses, and look to the future of nuclear energy.
- Indian Pueblo Cultural Center – The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center provides your family the opportunity to learn more about the people who first lived in what is now New Mexico. The cultural center also has Native American books, art, jewelry, pottery, and more, as well as various exhibits, dance programs, and even the Indian Pueblo Kitchen where regional food favorites are served.
- State and National Parks – New Mexico’s unique terrain means anything you do outside will make for a great time. Some of the top options include visiting Cibola National Forest, Petroglyph National Monument, and the Rio Grande Nature Center State Park. If you ride the Sandia Peak Aerial Tramway, you’ll be able to experience Cibola National Forest from the air, but if you’re looking to get out and be surrounded by nature, consider making a trip to the forest or one of the many other outdoor activities around Albuquerque.
- Anderson-Abruzzo International Balloon Museum – One of the most famous stops in Albuquerque is the Anderson-Abruzzo International Balloon Museum. When you visit the Museum, you will find a variety of exhibitions detailing the history of lighter-than-air flight, aircraft, and artifacts from important events. Explore the new Elevation Station, a hands-on area designed for the young and the young at heart. The Museum offers a gateway to science, exploration, and discovery—for both children and adults!
The Anderson-Abruzzo International Balloon Museum Foundation proudly raises awareness, involvement, and funds for the Balloon Museum. Our goal is to uplift the Museum through project collaboration, artifact donations, and shared information and resources. The Balloon Museum Foundation also holds special events during The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta each year, which is the world’s largest balloon festival and lasts nine days at the beginning of October. Find out more about the Fiesta and how you can support our efforts by becoming a member, donating, volunteering, or purchasing a wall tile today!