Each year, Albuquerque, New Mexico hosts the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. This event is the world’s largest balloon festival and lasts nine days at the beginning of October. There are many amazing experiences to be had at the Fiesta, but that’s not all that is happening in the area during that time.
So, what else is happening in ABQ during the Balloon Fiesta? In this article, we’ll share some of the best experiences—both fancy and casual—you can have around Albuquerque during the Balloon Fiesta.
Casual Experiences Around Albuquerque During the Balloon Fiesta
One of the great things about Albuquerque is that there is always something interesting going on, even during the Balloon Fiesta. Here are some options for casual experiences you can check out while in town for the Fiesta:
- Museums and Cultural Centers – You can also choose to enjoy ABQ’s rich history and culture by visiting one of the city’s many museums or cultural centers. Some of the top choices you should add to your list include the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, the Albuquerque Museum of Art and History, the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History, the Turquoise Museum, the Balloon Museum, and many more.
- Breaking Bad RV Tours – If you’re a fan of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, consider signing up for a Breaking Bad tour while you’re in town. You’ll get to see all of the filming locations and familiar spots from these shows, and you’ll even get to do it in an RV similar to the one from the show!
- The Great Outdoors – New Mexico is known as the “Land of Enchantment” for a reason. Consider taking a break from the Balloon Fiesta and enjoying one of the area’s many outdoor treasures. Some great options include Cibola National Forest, Petroglyph National Monument, and the Rio Grande Nature Center State Park. You can even ride the Sandia Peak Aerial Tramway for an amazing view of the entire city below.
Fancy Experiences Around Albuquerque During the Balloon Fiesta
While the Balloon Fiesta offers plenty of opportunities to get outside and enjoy nature, there are also many chances to have more refined, sophisticated experiences, including:
- Tablao Flamenco Dinner Show – Enjoy a lovely night out with a prix fixe dinner show featuring an intimate Flamenco performance at the Hotel Albuquerque. The National Institute of Flamenco has partnered with Heritage Hotels & Resorts to bring the artistry of this dance form to ABQ.
- New Mexico Philharmonic Performance – You can also choose to enjoy a night full of live music. Check to see if the world-class New Mexico Philharmonic has any concerts while you are in town for the Fiesta.
- Upscale Dinner – You can also choose to enjoy an upscale dinner at one of Albuquerque’s finest restaurants. This is a great way to enjoy a nice time out, while also experiencing the vibrant and rich restaurant scene in Albuquerque.
- VIP Packages for the Balloon Fiesta – You can even enjoy an upscale experience in Albuquerque without ever leaving the Balloon Fiesta with VIP Viewing Packages from the Balloon Museum. These packages include catered meals, drinks, amazing views of the Fiesta, and more. Tickets are on sale now, so consider purchasing yours today!
The Anderson-Abruzzo International Balloon Museum Foundation proudly raises awareness, involvement, and funds for the Balloon Museum. Our goal is to uplift the Museum through project collaboration, artifact donations, and shared information and resources. The Balloon Museum Foundation also holds special events during The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta each year, like the VIP Viewing Packages mentioned above. Find out more about the Fiesta and how you can support our efforts by becoming a member, donating, volunteering, or purchasing a wall tile today!